wood carving , wood working , welcome to the world of crafts
wood carving , wood working , welcome to the world of crafts, making your own wooden knife for wood carving ( first step )
students will see some completed samples in wood carving .
they will see some handicrafts and different handmade woolen rugs
Students will make their own wooden knife for wood carving and working with wood ( first step for beginners in working with wood )
They enter the peaceful world of wood and see different types of handicrafts, and over time, they will start learning wood carving with the next courses.
There are different types of wood and the work with them is different according to the type of wood, and different knives should be used in wood carving work.
There are different types of knives for rough cutting and fine work, each of which gives different shapes to the wood
Wood carving is a form of woodworking by means of a cutting tool (knife) in one hand or a chisel by two hands or with one hand on a chisel and one hand on a mallet, resulting in a wooden figure or figurine, or in the sculptural ornamentation of a wooden object. The phrase may also refer to the finished product, from individual sculptures to hand-worked mouldings composing part of a tracery.
Basic tool set
- the carving knife: a specialized knife used to pare, cut, and smooth wood.
- the gouge: a tool with a curved cutting edge used in a variety of forms and sizes for carving hollows, rounds and sweeping curves.
- the coping saw: a small saw that is used to cut off chunks of wood at once.
- the chisel: large and small, whose straight cutting edge is used for lines and cleaning up flat surfaces.
- the V-tool: used for parting, and in certain classes of flat work for emphasizing lines.
- the U-Gauge: a specialized deep gouge with a U-shaped cutting edge.
- sharpening equipment, such as various stones and a strop: necessary for maintaining edges.
A special screw for fixing work to the workbench, and a mallet, complete the carvers kit, though other tools, both specialized and adapted, are often used, such as a router for bringing grounds to a uniform level, bent gouges and bent chisels for cutting hollows too deep for the ordinary tool.